Pigskin Fever  

Go Back   Pigskin Fever > NFC > New York Giants

New York Giants Discuss anything and everything about the New York Giants.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Default How long do we give Eli?

There were many problems in the game yesterday, but Eli Manning is regressing. How long can the franchise keep him as the quarterback?

I think they should think long and hard about drafting a quarterback this year. A rookie will generally sit on the bench for two seasons or so. If they draft a QB this year, and give him two years to learn, Eli will have 5 years under his belt. If Eli turns it around, great, keep him, and trade the new kid if he shows any promise. But if Lit doesn't turn it around, at least they have someone waiting in the wings.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Big Blue Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Giants/Jets Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Giants/Jets Legend

Where do you expect eli's numbers to be?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Food for thought...

the Giants D cost them the game yesterday... V Young should have been sacked on that 4th down play... but the guy let him go thinkin the play was over....

"until the whistle blows.... until the whistle blows.."

158 yards 23 plays.... 7:56 of the clock used 3 drives... 21 points... given up... to the Titans offense....

there is the blame....

(IMO)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Packers Mod aka Zito75

Send a message via AIM to Packer Backer

I don't think Eli is that bad. If he played anywhere but New York, nobody would be saying anything negative. Maybe you'd rather have Aaron Brooks or Jake Plummer?
R.I.P. Pat Tillman #40
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Backer
I don't think Eli is that bad. If he played anywhere but New York, nobody would be saying anything negative. Maybe you'd rather have Aaron Brooks or Jake Plummer?
Or how about Big Ben?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Quote:
I don't think Eli is that bad.
It isn't so much that he is bad, but he is regressing. His quarterback rating is 76.0, good for 23rd in the league, of 33 QBs that qualify. But he actually had a good start to the year. In the last 7 games, his rating has been 68.8, 80.4, 76.5, 76.3, 28.3, 51.9, 59.1. Horrible.

In the last 3 games he has had 2 TDs and 6 INTs.

Quote:
Maybe you'd rather have Aaron Brooks or Jake Plummer?
Plummer is being replaced this week, so that is a bad example - the Broncos are giving up on him. Brooks was out 8 weeks, so not really fair either.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble
Food for thought...

the Giants D cost them the game yesterday... V Young should have been sacked on that 4th down play... but the guy let him go thinkin the play was over....

"until the whistle blows.... until the whistle blows.."

158 yards 23 plays.... 7:56 of the clock used 3 drives... 21 points... given up... to the Titans offense....

there is the blame....

(IMO)
That raises an interesting question about the rules. Kiwanuka (the same Giant that gave up on the play) was penalized 15 yards a few weeks ago for almost the exact same plat - except the QB had released the ball and Kiwanuka finished his hit. In this case, Kiwanuka admitted that he thought the QB released the ball, so he stopped. His options were stopping and having Young make him look foolish, or finishing his hit, and if the ball had been released, looking just as bad for having a 15 Yard penalty on a fourth and 10.

You can't play until you hear the whistle, because if he had released the ball, there would have been no whistle.

Yes, there is planty of blame to go around. Eli. Plaxico. Frank Walker. Coughlin. But I don't put much on Kiwanuka.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM
mostly hydrogen & oxygen

I'd give Eli five years -- retroactive to 2004. So, the rest of this year and at least 2007 and 2008, I think before then he'll be an extraordinary QB.

Also this team has pressing needs at running back, on the offensive line and in the defensive secondary. This team can not afford to waste another first round draft pick on a QB.

If we say Brandon Jacobs can take over at running back, which I don't think he can, then drafting a RB is out. But an offense is built around its line and the Giants' line needs upgrades. Since the Giants will be drafting with the middle of the pack, an OT/OG or DB seems more realistic.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 PM
1986 1990 2007 2011

I'll revisit this queston now that the season is over. He was awful tonight after the first drive, pretty much awful down the whole stretch of the season. This team is never winning with him at QB.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Big Blue Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Giants/Jets Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Giants/Jets Legend

I disagree. He did not have an awful season just an inconsistent one. But quite frankly the emerging young QB's in the NFL today (Rivers, Rothelsburgher, etc.) have been spoiling football fans. Them and the media expect every QB in their mid-20's to play like that. It's unfair to put that much expectation on a young QB. The one problem with Eli is his love for the long ball. The Giants have great weapons for a much more versatile game. If he can do more short passes, screens, etc. I think we will see a large imporvement in him next season. Although if he continues to go for the 30+ yard pass to Burress all the time, then we have a problem.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants/Jets Legend
I disagree. He did not have an awful season just an inconsistent one. But quite frankly the emerging young QB's in the NFL today (Rivers, Rothelsburgher, etc.) have been spoiling football fans. Them and the media expect every QB in their mid-20's to play like that. It's unfair to put that much expectation on a young QB. The one problem with Eli is his love for the long ball. The Giants have great weapons for a much more versatile game. If he can do more short passes, screens, etc. I think we will see a large improvement in him next season. Although if he continues to go for the 30+ yard pass to Burress all the time, then we have a problem.
Maybe we are spoiled. Maybe my expectations are too high. But I don't agree that he had anything but a bad season (maybe awful is too harsh a word). If you watch him game after game, you realize that he passes are completely inaccurate. He either overthrows or under throws every ball. He throws behind receivers or leads them too much. He is always missing wide open receivers, ornot seeing them at all. When he completes passes to Plaxico, for example, frequently he has thrown a bad pass that Plaxico went out and got. Even the screen play that the Giants scored on to tie the game late against the Eagles. Eli through that ball way too high, and Plaxico did a good job just catching it.

there are certainly teams in a worse QB situation then the Giants. But if the Giants win anything with Eli at QB, it will be in spite of him, not because of him
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

My other major concern with him is that at times he seems to be regressing. I wouldn't mind the play and the inconsistencies if there were at least a sign of improvement.

I'm all for giving him one more year. But I'm hoping they have a backup plan incase he continues to flounder
Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Seahawks

Who is Eli rooting for in the Super Bowl? His brother and the Colts or his co-NFC comrades the Bears?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:41 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle1
Who is Eli rooting for in the Super Bowl? His brother and the Colts or his co-NFC comrades the Bears?
Has to be his brother. I doubt players really root for conference pride.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Big Blue Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Has to be his brother. I doubt players really root for conference pride.
Yeh probally. Especially if he got shelled by the Bears in a game this year.

I think we should have Eli as our man next season but we also should have a good plan B. I'm not saying we should draft a QB but if we can sign a free agent or get a trade that would be great.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants/Jets Legend View Post
Yeh probally. Especially if he got shelled by the Bears in a game this year.

I think we should have Eli as our man next season but we also should have a good plan B. I'm not saying we should draft a QB but if we can sign a free agent or get a trade that would be great.
You think that maybe this was prophetic?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:22 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
This team is never winning with him at QB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
But if the Giants win anything with Eli at QB, it will be in spite of him, not because of him
I've never been happier to be dead wrong. Eli's turnaround is remarkable. Congratulations to him and the Giants!!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Great QB. Many years I think.

Please read the Pigskin Fever Policy and Fourm FAQ before posting.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 AM
1986 1990 2007 2011

Always happy to be proven wrong, again